You’re already a Lostislandic citizen, yet you want to be more actively involved? If so, joining the Lostislandic diplomatic service might be something for you.
The Lostislandic Ambassadors are officials responsible for representing Lostisland in their particular country of residence. The diplomatic service is a volunteer (and unpaid) service of proud Lostislandians willing to act as local evangelists of Lostisland to their community.
WHAT DO THE AMBASSADORS DO?
WHO CAN BECOME AN AMBASSADOR?
Lostislandic Ambassadors are the face of Lostisland and must have an impeccable record within the organization. Until September 2020 the diplomatic service was by-invitation only, and typically the appointed Ambassadors were senior Lostislandic citizens.
Today, any Lostislandic citizen may apply to become an Ambassador, provided that they meet the following criteria:
These minimum requirements, however, don’t guarantee that all the applicants will be accepted. In order to save your time, we recommend you not to apply if your situation is any of the following:
- DON’T apply if you want a fancy title: though not full-time positions, Lostislandic Ambassadors are not Honorary Consuls and are expected to deliver results of their work. If right after appointment you disappear and ignore the emails of your superiors, very soon you’ll find yourself dismissed.
- DON’T apply if you have no free time: see above. We don’t expect you to treat a voluntary position as a job, but you should dedicate to Lostisland at least three hours a week.
- DON’T apply if you want diplomatic immunity: even though Lostisland considers itself a sovereign entity, it is not a sovereign nation state. Lostislandic Ambassadors do not enjoy diplomatic immunity and are equivalent to Goodwill Ambassadors (this may change if your country of residence signs a treaty of mutual recognition with Lostisland).
- DON’T apply if you just joined Lostisland. Yes, there are exceptions. There are people who became Lostislandic citizens after having known Lostisland and its people for months and years. However, if this is not your case, we recommend that you wait at least for two weeks after obtaining citizenship while you familiarize yourself with Lostisland, to make sure this is your cup of tea.
- DON’T apply if you don’t want to be publicly associated with Lostisland. There are citizens who want to keep their affiliation with Lostisland private. We fully respect this choice and never comment whether a particular person is a Lostislandic citizen. However, this choice is incompatible with holding a public position, such as one of an Ambassador.
- DON’T apply if you’re not comfortable with social media (or don’t have someone who’ll run the Embassy page for you). Whether we like it or not, every single aspect of human activity has been penetrated by the internet. Each Ambassador is responsible for maintaing the Facebook page of the Embassy.
- DON’T apply if you’re not a Lostislandic citizen. It goes without saying that only Lostislandic citizens may represent Lostisland, but we’ve had people trying to purchase identity cards before obtaining citizenship, hence we put this warning. If you like Lostisland and want to represent us – please apply for citizenship first.
Now, who should apply?
- DO apply if you want to help us grow.
- DO apply if you’re able to raise awareness about Lostisland in your local community, if you have connections among politicians, government members, businessmen, etc.
- DO apply if you’re good at writing letters, organizing events, SMM, if you have both time and skills that you could dedicate to Lostisland.
If after reading this, you still want to become a Lostislandic Ambassador – and don’t tell us it’s because diplomats may buy products from our online store at a special price, or because you want to have a @lostisland.org email – we invite you to fill the following form. It has fewer questions than the citizenship application form, because we already have the information from it. Your application will be reviewed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the President; we’ll get in touch with you within 30 working days.
If your diplomatic district already has a Lostislandic Ambassador, you may still apply: you may become a Consul in your city or region, and your candidacy will be added to the reserve pool.